(317) 375-1111
[email protected]

433 Gibson Building Renovation

What We Do
433 Gibson Building Renovation

433 Gibson Building Renovation

433 North Capitol Avenue
Indianapolis, IN

The Gibson building was designed by Indianapolis architect Frank Hunter and constructed in the years 1916-1917. Built for Cecil Gibson as an automotive manufacturing and distribution center, it was among the largest and most decorative automobile showroom buildings in Indianapolis. In 2005, Charles C. Brandt Construction Company was contracted by One America Financial Partners to restore this building.

Looking at the deteriorating building and seeing its possibilities required a sense of vision and willingness to accept the risk of unknown potential for return on a significant investment of time and resources.

New triple hung window units were installed on both the north and west facades while industrial type windows were used in the recessed area on the south elevation; both were original features and helped the renovation keep the feel of the initial design. The restoration of the terra cotta façade took months of investigative work to determine which pieces could be salvaged and which pieces would need to be fabricated from custom molds made specifically for this project.

New sidewalks with planting beds, re-pavement on the parking lots, new curbs, and landscaping were incorporated in the renovation. The interior of the building includes a raised access flooring system, 18” above the structural slab on floors 2 thru 5 allowing the mechanical system to be installed between the structural slab and the access floor keeping the ceiling clean and the column heads visible. The raised access flooring system also permits lower window sill heights so building occupants have a better view of the city. One of the construction challenges was removing a concrete ramp that entered the building on the Michigan Street side and continued to the 2nd floor; a throw back to the days when the building was used for automotive purposes. After removal of the ramp, the space was in-filled to accommodate the current use of the tenants.

About The Author
Charles C. Brandt Construction Co. Design by LifeGrid
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux